Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Pretty White Dress

For the past several years I've volunteered as a case worker for CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), an organization that advocates for children subject to abuse, neglect and abandonment.  As one might suspect, many of the cases involve domestic violence and drugs.

I was inspired to write the following poem from my experiences with this worthwhile organization:


The Pretty White Dress


I remember the day we bought it, we were at Nordstrom's
at their half yearly sale.
We had just eaten lunch at Chili's and after a few beers
we were almost drunk and
we were so in love and when you saw it in the window,
you said, "Rose,
you'd look great in that."
I tried it on and you said I was beautiful,
and I believed you.
We bought it and went home and made love,
then fell asleep on the couch.

So much has happened since that day.
All the pushes and shoves; starts and stops.
All that we've said and wished we could take back or
maybe forget.

And now all I hear you say, as they take you,
"I can't believe this--I barely hit the bitch."







No comments:

Post a Comment